Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tweedy Van Lee Roth Weiland

Megachild has a new song that has more alternative names (3) than the number of times it's been played (1). It is tentatively labeled Tweedy Van Lee Roth Weiland, but might preferably be called Forget About Me/Looking for Abuse (1 title or 2). The Tweedy Van.... etc. is a reference to the sounds, esp. vocal sounds that I hear in the song. Wilco's Jeff Tweedy songwriting style inspired some of the lyrics and phrasing, esp. some of his more "rockin" stuff from disc one of "Being There". I may post a version of the Megachild song when we record a sensible demo of it.

In the meantime, here are some videos of the influences that I hear in the song.
  • Wilco's "Monday & Outtasite (outta mind)" finale from Lollapalooza 2008
  • Wilco's "Monday", I Believe this is from "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" nice guitar solo after the wolf whistle around 2 minutes:
  • Wilco's fairly cheesy video for "Outtasite (Outta Mind)
There are vocal nuances in the new Megachild song that are, I'm sad to say, like loungier David Lee Roth/Scott Weiland. This is a little sickening, but not surprising. Just the product of my immature influences I guess. Weiland was the vocalist for Stone Temple Pilots and evetually the totally sucky "super-group" Velvet Revolver... sorry if you like them, but I was such a high school fan of STP and now I think that Weiland is a total disgusting washup. Here are some pretty slimy videos from Van Halen and Stone Temple Pilots. Enjoy.
    • Stone Temple Pilot's "Sex Type Thing" Video:
    • Van Halen's "(Oh) Pretty Woman" from Diver Down:

No comments: