Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Little Stickleback

A song that goes back even before Megachild, when the basement band went through a bunch of names. Just picked it up on the uke.  Here are the full lyrics:

V1
Little fish about three inches long
That's the reason why I'm singing this song
Kinda ugly and it's got big eyes
And it's got - three little spines

V2
Alaska's got a lot of lakes
Thousands of years ago the glaciers made them
And from the ocean little fish came in
In each lake - It's happenin'

Chorus
Oh, my little stickleback
You truly amaze me
On, my little stickleback
How you evolve so rapidly
Oh, my little stickleback
Evolution is so cool

V3
Up in the water there are many dangers
That's why they've got these little pelvic spines
And they've got armor plates too
If you lived up there - so would you

V4
Down in the bottom you don't need armor
Not many predators can find you there
So all the plates of the ocean cousins
Disappeared from the benthic dwellers

Chorus

V5
Someday soon we'll understand
The genes and processes that made you so grand
All these adaptations gave you such fame
Gasterosteus aculeatus - remember that name

Chorus

No comments: