Sunday, March 23, 2014

Revisiting Gangnam Style

[link] Been thinking about, from an aesthetic point of view, why this video is so good. Good, in the sense that sometimes something hits the popular culture and becomes huge, because it has a new, somehow infectious, meme or set of traits. Here, the song by itself (I'm not at all familiary with Psy's music) is not particularly remarkable, although there are some interesting aspects to the song, in particular when parts build and then break down and start over. The song seems to be integral to the dance style that is the video (I don't know if Psy has this in his other videos). For me, and maybe for most viewers around the world, the part of the song and video that is most intriguing is the setting, the Gangnam district of Seoul and the apparent commentary on the people and lifestyle there. Putting the chauvinism aside, the concentration on a very particular urban place, and what appears to be a glamorous one, is intriguing. I've seen people like that occasionally in some parts of Taipei; the different parts of Taipei are also fascinating to me, so I can see Seoul being like that as well. The thing that really carries the whole video off of course is Psy's attitude and presence.  It's simultaneously self-deprecating and rap-esque arrogant. Also, at some points, he seems to be pointing to the whole place as an exhibition. I guess I've probably thought about this more than most people.  But I really like to figure out why some music and videos work so well.

No comments: