Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Fascination

I've had a growing fascination for several things British lately. Firstly, we watched four episodes of Eastenders on PBS last weekend. It's a soap with people with messed up lives and relationships, but the atmosphere is actually quite charming. It would be great to have a community centered around a pub that you go to every night. Next, we discovered the British version of Project Runway, called Project Catwalk, on Youtube. British design aesthetics are a little bit different in a way that is hard to describe. It's fun to watch. Finally, I've decided to start to follow English Premier League Football. I needed to pick a team that isn't very good, so I chose Wigan (Wigan Athletic F.C.), who apparently recently entered the Premier League from the The Football League in 2005. They only have five wins this season and are near the bottom. They have cool blue and white jerseys. We'll be upgrading our cable service soon, so maybe I'll be able to catch some Premier League games on the telly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good deal. I feel sort of guilty to follow Manchester United, but then again I've followed them for a few years... and can at least attribute this to my love of mancunian music.


Bill Simmons had a column on how he picked his favorite EPL team (makes for an interesting read):
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

Cheers,
Joe