Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The nostalgia I was talking about

Here are two songs that are sort of emblems for me. Both by Seals and Crofts: Summer Breeze and We May Never Pass This Way Again. When I was in high school, on "Moving Up" day toward the end of the school year in June, there would be a slide show by the graduating seniors.  These two songs were frequently used as music.  It was the whole memories thing, summer coming, a great time but a completely ambiguous time in terms of who I thought I was (I was totally off, not even a person at that time; I don't know what or who I was; I wouldn't start to know or start to be a real, loving caring person, for another almost 15 years). Those two songs in particular are the pure essense, which is poison, of this feeling of paralyzing nostalgia. I avoid them.  I didn't listen to them (not for one second) just now when I was looking up the links.

No comments: